Indonesia’s agriculture ministry said on Thursday (June 25th, 2020) that it planned to build a large farmland on the island of Borneo with more than 164,000 hectares (405,000 acres) to warn of a possible food crisis due to a coronavirus outbreak in Indonesia.
The ministry said the project in Central Kalimantan province would increase output from about 85,000 hectares of existing land. And will add another 79,000 hectares to the previously irrigated land.
The government will cultivate a range of food crops, as well staples, Kuntoro Boga Andri, a spokesman for the agriculture ministry, said in the statement.
“We are talking about a food estate that will not only have rice and corn,” he said, adding that it would include fruit and vegetables and animal farms.
The government has previously developed a similar estate on in Papua province and has plans to develop more.
Local media quoted Public Works and Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono as saying that the land planned for food resources was first developed by the government in the mid-1990s, but has since been abandoned.